"TEAM PHILIPPINES" 2012

"TEAM PHILIPPINES" 2012
June 2012 Team.....waiting for our last flight in Hong Kong

Saturday, August 28, 2010

FIRST REPORT BY MISSIONARY SHAUNA:

Saturday, June 26, 2010Maaung hapon (good afternoon)! The first week here seemed to fly between finding a routine, working on language, visitation, walking the Barangay (Brgy.) and learning the basics of life (cooking, laundry, CR, shopping, etc.). I’m not certain where the time went. Regardless, it was fun.

This week has been indescribable. Dr. Lina and I started the week with meetings, Mayor Casurra and Dr. Limcangco, and ended the week by packing meds. In between, we supervised the emptying of the motor pool (medical equipment and ministry boxes), sorted the “stuff” from the motor pool, and packed school supplies for distribution.

Culture shock has definitely set in. Philippine time is a running joke among the foreigners, but it’s as serious as anything I’ve ever experienced. I can not figure it out! The people are either late or early and I can not determine when which applies. I feel like the Keystone Cops. Who’s on first??? This is all part of changing my American mind set and assimilating into the culture.

Another area of changing mind set is in language. The name of this game is review, review, review…causes retention. The phonics base is easier than English, but I keep stressing the wrong syllable. The English rules are still ruling in my head. The pronouns are another story all together. I can not seem to make them agree - singular, plural, to someone or about someone – oh, my! PLEASE pray for language and clarity.

My day usually begins with my quiet time and Bible study time. After breakfast, I do the household chores and language study. There is a companion with me most of the time. Her name is Gigi Reyes. She and her husband, Weweng, stay in the mission house with me at night. The Reyes are a huge blessing! They are patient and longsuffering. I do not know how many times phrases and vocabulary words are repeated. They are expecting their first child in August. Please be praying for her health, safe delivery and quick recovery.

The long-term plan is to apply for missionary status; however, I’m told the average time to complete the process is one year. Missionary status has to be applied for and processed in Cebu. Please pray for the Lord’s mercy and grace on this process.

On Monday, the English classes begin for the pastors and their wives. We do have three young people (youth) that will join us because they have to be ready for college. We are limited to one class per week because of the travel limitations, ministry needs and necessary provisions. The pastors will attend class all day Monday (7a-6p) and a review session on Tuesday morning (7-9). One of the pastors will travel four (4) hours by boat, one way, to be here. His travel costs will be P250-300 round trip. At the current exchange rate, $45.16, the round trip fair is $5.52-6.62. As part of the class, we will feed the pastors on Monday and Tuesday as well as provide housing on Monday evening.

Daghan salamat sa Dios para sa imo! (Many thanks to God for you!)

Shauna Hefner
Sabang Baptist Mission House
Purok 4 Sabang
Surigao CitySurigao
Del Norte, Philippines 8400

No comments:

Post a Comment